Cypriot Society & Culture
Cypriot Family Values
- The family is the center of the social structure.
- The family includes he nuclear family and the extended family.
- The extended family is expected to help their relatives.
- Both maternal and paternal grandfathers have strong bonds with their grandchildren.
- Elders are respected and children expect to take care of their parents when as they become old and or infirmed.
- Cypriots are extremely respectful of hierarchy.
- People are respected of their age and position. Older people are viewed as wise and granted respect.
- The oldest person in a group is revered and honoured. In a social situation, they are served and introduced first.
Religion in Cyprus
- Freedom of religion is safeguarded in Cyprus constitution.
- The majority of Greek Cypriots belong to the Greek Orthodox Church.
- In small villages, women attend service more frequently than men, and elderly family members are usually responsible for fulfilling religious duties on behalf of he whole family.
- Church attendance is less frequent in cities.
- The majority of Turkish Cypriots are Muslims.
- Among certain obligations for Muslims are to pray five times a day-at dawn, noon, afternoon, sunset, and evening.